There is a moment every Colorado Springs winter when you can’t uncover the root of the draft in your home. It could theoretically be originating from a window that isn’t secured or sealed properly. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and chilly, potentially resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help limit spending and cut down drafty air from passing through your home, it’s critical to be able to identify where these window drafts might be coming from and why. Here are some helpful tips to identify your Colorado Springs home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Examine for gaps and cracks in strange points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the normal windows with operable abilities and use a simple visual inspection.
- Examine to guarantee that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Make sure that the sealant or gasket by the workable portion of the window or door is accurately sealing.
- Check the installation by determining if the draft is traveling through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only perform as well as it is positioned.
- Call a professional from Pella Windows and Doors in Colorado Springs to have them run a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is deriving from, the next step is to concentrate on the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the specialists in Colorado Springs a call at (888) 883-8364 with any further questions or potential replacement needs.