Position Title: Sales Manager
Reports To: General Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Responsible and accountable for overseeing the sales and development and activities of their team, within the context of the overall organizational and segment goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (other duties may be assigned)
- Assumes an active role in implementation of the segment's operational plan.
- Participates actively and fully in the segment's management team and associated management activities.
- Performs such other activities as directed by the General Manager which may reasonably be expected from a sales manager.
- Represents the organization at all times in a professional, competent manner, in keeping with the high ethical and cultural standards of the organization.
- Develops, maintains and enhances personal understanding of relevant industry knowledge, technical and technological advances, and industry and PELLA best practices, and encourages and supports employees in doing similarly.
- Maintains active membership in appropriate industry bodies.
- Implements the overall objectives, policies, strategy and operating plans of the segment.
- Implements programs, policies and procedures that supports total customer satisfaction, both internally and externally.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate communications with customers (internal and external, including PELLA Corporation), providing an atmosphere of positive, supportive interaction.
- Visits customers and makes sales calls with sales reps [ride-alongs], particularly with key accounts and new employees.
- Assists with the production of complex estimates [where applicable].
- Develops 'value engineering' ideas.
- Coaches / assists in final customer negotiations as required / appropriate.
- Reviews large or complex proposals / contracts before submission / signing.
- Where appropriate, resolves, or causes to be resolved, issues raised by customers (internal and external).
- As requested by the General Manager, designs and / or implements marketing and promotional activities appropriate to the segment and customer base.
- Manages delegated sales / marketing budget [if any] as agreed with the General Manager.
- Oversees the management of returns and allowances within their team.
- Administrates PELLA segment-specific special programs, such as Very Important Prospect, Account Development Funds.
- Must be prepared to travel as required by the job.
- Must be prepared to work required hours, as determined from time to time by the General Manager, and currently estimated to be between 55 to 65 hours per week.
- Hours worked should breakdown as follows: 20% in the office / administrative duties- 80% in the field, coaching, teaching, mentoring newest reps.
- Prepares and submits such periodic reports (verbal and written) as determined by the General Manager.
- Is available to the GM for informal reports as reasonably required from time to time.
- Reviews monthly goals, bookings, quotes [forecast and actual], CSR, shipments, receivables, top ten accounts, backlog with employees.
- In consultation with the General Manager, ensures employees are assigned and developed to appropriately service differing client / customer sectors (e.g. 'trade professionals') in accordance with their differing needs.
- In consultation with the GM and HR function, ensures that employees are identified, recruited, oriented, managed, coached / mentored, developed and retained, to ensure the attainment of the segment [and, if appropriate, team] goals.
- Specifically, coaches and advises sales reps as needed in the areas of lead and account management, customer relationship skills, and personal and career development, as appropriate with the assistance of senior sales people.
- Establish, allocate and manage territories, and / or individual customer accounts.
- Proactively engages in prospecting and the acquisition of key accounts.
- Assigns and manages leads.
- Undertakes monthly periodic performance reviews against agreed goals targets and backlog, with reporting employees at such times and in such manner as shall be determined by the President.
- By providing feedback and information, and with the help of the PELLA segment RSM, assists the President in designing and implementing appropriate compensation programs that deliver high performance and retention of top performers, including appropriate recognition programs.
- Ensures that reporting employees are motivated and provided with appropriate resources to continually improve the segment quality of service and customer satisfaction level.
- Ensures that reporting employees avail of appropriate training programs.
- Implements disciplinary policies and procedures as necessary with regard to reporting employees.
- Ensures the active engagement of reporting employees in the continuous improvement process as it applies to the segment.
- Where appropriate, resolves, or causes to be resolved, material issues and / or disputes raised by reporting employees.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelors degree or equivalent [3-5 years sales or other relevant experience] or successfully completed the PELLA sales manager training program.
- Ability to relate across a broad and varied customer base.
- Knowledge of company and PELLA operations
- Product and industry knowledge
- Detailed knowledge and experience of the sales process
- Leadership, Strategic thinking, Motivation, Coaching and mentoring
- Communication and basic training skills
- Recruiting and hiring skills
- Time management, Territory management, Lead management, Crisis and conflict management
- Dispute resolution
- Influencing and selling skills
- Basic understanding of compensation principles
- Intermediate financial skills
- Management skills
- Computer skills and computer systems literacy
- Detail oriented
- Construction/install knowledge
Must be able to communicate in written and oral form and be able to read/comprehend.
Ability to work with fractions, percentages, solve problems and perform calculations.
Ability to relate across a broad and varied customer base.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work is primarily sedentary in nature, no special demands are required. (75% Sitting, 23% Walking, 2% Standing and 0% Bending, Squatting, Climbing, Kneeling, Twisting, Lifting)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Able to work in an interruption-driven environment.
Does the employee work near moving mechanical parts; in high, precarious places; and in outside weather conditions? No.
Is the employee exposed to fumes or airborne particles? No.